Sunday, 11 May 2008

Changes to XP

This is really about Mac stuff, but I found that SP3 for XP had been giving early installers some hassle, so I HAD to try it... and yes it gave me some trouble too! Microsoft is so sodding hopeless.

After downloading the 66MB at rather slow speed, and the usual dozen or so 'yes's' to Direct X messages on IE, it started to install, well it did a lot of checking first, and clearly one cannot sit for half an hour watching everything, so I got up to make a coffee or something, and when I returned it was to find that Online Armor had held things up waiting for an answer, but SP3 just said it couldn't install and backed everything out again - successfully - I had to try again. Luckily it didn't have to download again.. and this time I  made sure to exit Online Armor, AVG, et al first, and it completed ok. AND it actually seems to be faster!

Took another Acronis backup and that was that...

No comments: