Monday, 24 June 2013

Left eye operation and other findings

On the 23rd May I had the 2nd eye op. at around 10 in the morning. To me it felt like the first, i.e. lots of preparatory eye drops which sting at first, but go over fast enough, then another lot, and oh yes a tablet at the beginning to calm me down, and then quite a long actual operation. 30-45 minutes (?).

Eventually it was over, and I hobbled out with a shield over my left eye to where Susan waited.

Next day I was able to remove the shield, clean up carefully around the eye, and see clearly, and very brightly again :) Now I could compare the eyes for colour, brightness, and clarity, and the right eye clearly has a problem, which I would explain to the Doctor who carried out the operation later..

Off to Drammen again for 14:00 check up. The left eye was perfect!

I explained the problem with the right eye to the Doctor using a clip of bar code. He took me next door, where there was an Optical Coherence Tomography machine, sat me down in front of it, and ran a short test which produced an image similar to that shown on this link ( http://www.oyesenteret.no/problemer-etter-operasjon-22 ) see CME / Cystoid maculaødem.

Happily there is a good chance the Yellox eye drops he prescribed will sort out the inflammation in a few weeks, and the vision will clear up completely.

Later I heard Ted Salmon was having a cataract operation in the UK, and was amazed when he reported that his took no more than 10 to 20 minutes! What are they skimping?


Edit on 24th June: its a month since I started taking the Yellox eye drops twice a day, and I'm afraid there has been no significant improvement so far :( there is to be another check on July 2nd when I guess another OCT image will be run to show how much change there has been..

NB: I had to email this post from my iPad where I had prepared it, but for some reason it was not getting posted..?

3 comments:

Gerald Fraser said...

Unfortunately the Yellox eye drops did not help, so on July 2nd I was given another 'resept', this time for a 6 week Voltaren series of drops 4 times a day, followed by a 6-week rest before the next check.. hope this helps!

Gerald Fraser said...

Next Wednesday the 25th September its time for a new check after the 6 week rest. Unfortunately things have not improved, in fact my left eye is focusing further away than immediately after the op.

Gerald Fraser said...

Regrettably the right eye did not improve and I was eventually advised that the problem was due to a Macular hole:(