Saturday, 29 March 2014

Where have you been Fraser?

I''m afraid 2013 was spent mostly with visits to the Drammen Eye Clinic, where I had cataracts fixed in both eyes, trips to a skin specialist in Asker concerning an itchy spot on my back, which she operated on. The biopsy showed more needed to be removed, so next it was a trip to Bærum Sykehuset Clinic, first for a check by the surgeon who would operate, then for quite a deep operation on the same area of my back to remove everything.

Once that was done, I was able to start a treatment for the results of too much sun in Singapore back in the 1950s, and later in Qatar during the early 60s. The treatment was horrific, turning my forehead into something you didn't want to look at! It took a month, and left me with clear baby skin on my forehead :)

The repeat trips to Drammen concerning my right eye, proved to be a Lamellar Macular Hole, and unfortunately could not be fixed, unless some major issue crops up. I can't complain though, as my colour vision is phenomenal, and with 20/20 cheapo glasses I can read really clearly close up :)

Otherwise, 2013 was the return of my interest in photography, triggered by Susan purchasing a new Nikon D7100. I had done quite a bit of reading about the various alternatives, and decided in the end to go Micro Four Thirds, by buying another Panasonic Lumix, the GX7. Then in quick succession I came across another Lumix, a demo LZ200 Superzoom going for a song at Komplett.no.

Both of these gave me lots of opportunity to add new neuron circuitry..

Later, I came across another bargain, this time for 5K, an Olympus OM-D E-M5 with a good Kit lens. This camera has a fantastic Optical Image Stabilization system, which operates over 5-axes or directions, and takes super photographs.

Of course, all told the above cost a bit, though much less and lighter than typical Canon DSLR gear.

More about this anon :)

PS The next episode will be about my purchase of a Samsung TV (another bargain) in order to try Google's Chromecast.

1 comment:

Gerald Fraser said...

What, no update email after the last bunch of corrections?