After learning that Telenor were close to improving the broadband speeds I can expect in the very near future I swapped to using wi-fi on the old ZyXEL router (instead of running in Bridge mode to an Airport Extreme setup), which gave me and Telenor the opportunity to measure the local capability of DSL out here in the very lovely sticks.
I was immediately able to up my broadband deal for one that was slightly better on Upload speeds, without paying significantly more. Only snag was that the wi-fi connection first died on me, and then went up and down like a yo-yo. Turned out to be a problem related to the antenna, so I called Telenor's service dept., who were kind enough to send me a replacement in the form of the 2.4/5 GHz variety, which will handle the extreme speeds expected shortly.
It installed like a dream. Telenor is vastly better now at knowing all about me and my various hardware/contract deals, so a couple of minutes after plugging it all in it was ready configured. Just needed to change passwords and start the longer job of re-configuring wi-fi on the various components of my hi-fi system, which still require one to tap in everything on the remotes.
Nexus Player didn't see the 5GHz channel at first, but after a spot of searching on XDA I found exactly the answer needed, i.e. drop to channel 40, and up it came :)
So, everything is working superbly, no interfering channels to be found near me, and I am super happy with Telenor :-D
No comments:
Post a Comment