Thursday, 13 March 2008

At last! Time Capsule arrives

The 2nd package from TNT went astray for an extra day.. wrongly sent to Sætre apparently :)

Anyway, I unpacked it straight away, plugged it into the output from Linksysp4pe, said it was to be the extension of a wireless network, and up it came. However the backup throughput of iMac to TC was around 2MB/sec, and would have taken many hours. Connecting it on the end of Linksys was not giving me the highspeed connection thats needed for backup over net..

Out with it all, and what a job it was to restart. Pressing TC reset for 5 seconds clearly did something, but it needed to be done a couple of times and be powered down before the Air Utility setup window was available. I have removed the Linksys, using just the TC as an access point and NAS drive. The local IP addresses are from 10.0.1.2 to 200 so I started at 20 for the iMac and 30 for Madge. Had to sort out the pppoe gfraser@online info with the original k pwd and up it all came.

After about 2 hours of backing up Madge's 19GB there is about an hour left to go. Slow compared with USB/Firewire, but OK for NAS on the Air I guess.

So, I have lots of spare Linksys routers in case Hege's fails. Tomorrow I'll connect it up to the PC through ethernet and make sure it comes up OK after changing the fixed IP there too.

1 comment:

Gerald Fraser said...

It is now the 14th May 2009 and the Time Capsule gave up the ghost :(

The amber light comes on for about 205 seconds, goes out, and thats it!

It has been very hot lately, and I did complete a new 60GB Time Machine backup this morning.. perhaps that pushed it over the edge.

GRRRR!