Tuesday, 15 April 2008

Remote control and screen sharing

Can't remember what started me off yesterday, but I came across Vine in /applications and decided to check it out. It worked fine with iMac able to control AIR very nicely. I got hold of a temporary key to enable the reverse, and that too worked fine, so I decided to transfer my single machine licence to the AIR, thinking that would be the logical place to do most remote work from.

The only thing I couldn't get to work was transfer of Cut & Paste between machines.. this set me off on a search which resulted in a trove of wealth! First from Lifehacker's Gina Trampani (a very bright lady) showed how a couple of lines in Terminal could turn the Leopard's screen sharing app into something a bit better. This worked very well, BUT although there were Toobar icons for getting and sending clipboards, it didn't work :(  see http://tinyurl.com/28jdu5


So I continued searching and came across a MacFixit http://tinyurl.com/2jk4yr tutorial with three or four methods of controlling a remote machine.

The one which did most was iChat! That allowed transfer between machines by drag & drop. Another was like Trampani's, and yet another was the one called 'Back to My Mac' this can be started/stopped in the .Mac prefs. It was already on, so I'm not sure whether it might have been in use in the above methods..

Quite a day... I missed dinner and shovelled a handful of nuts in my mouth for sustenance ;) Off to bed and 9:30 pm feeling happy, having learnt so much, even if Cut & Paste didn't work.

1 comment:

Gerald Fraser said...

I forgot an even simpler method. Simply browse to the machine you want to control using Safari, e.g. vnc://10.0.1.20 on AIR to control the iMac