During our recent rainy season I have been updating the XP system a bit, which led me first to looking at Linpus Linux, but when that couldn't communicate with iMac over Bluetooth, and wouldn't boot up on the PC, I wrote myself an overview of "what is wrong with Linux" and "what is right with Mac" :) and checked out the distributions on my Grub floppy. It seems that Kanotix lost track of its saved changes source, Slax booted but doesn't find the ethernet setup via Airport, but Gentoo worked on both 2.6.18.2 and .3.
Then I downloaded OpenSUSE - this of course couldn't talk to the Mac either - but it did surprisingly boot up after a couple of long delays while it probably sorted out the network, etc., and it looked quite good. I ordered the 11.0 DVD from Guillaume at Linux CD and started trying to sort out what was what on hda and hdb, prior to any plans of actually installing it on the PC.
This was made difficult by the fact that OpenSUSE has introduced a kernel feature which turns hdx's into sdx's! Something to do with 'libata'. Thats one of the drawbacks with Linux - you are expected to get under the bonnet and fix things like that. Searching for an answer on the combined new forum wasn't easy, but I did find a solution to put onto the boot line - its on Evernote now..
I haven't gone into Grub and OpenSUSE yet.. that requires more mental gymnastics than I was prepared to spend late on a Monday!
Today, Tuesday I'll make sure there's a good Acronis backup of the hdb drive, and an MBRwiz, before starting to delete the multitude of partitions used by various Linux copies that don't work. What a lot of time goes down the drain by doing this! Thats my main quarrel with Linux, the time it all takes with details. Mac on the other hand, restricts the system hardware they sell to you as a 'system', BUT you gain the knowledge that it all works under the bonnet, and all Mac might do is ask you questions, and accept your answers before getting on with things like system and app updates... i.e. you simply use and enjoy the experience, rather than work on the system itself.
Thats it for PCs and Linux for now..
No comments:
Post a Comment