Started the day with some sunshine on the balcony, having been up since around 3am! I sorted out the partitions on hdb drive and deleted hdb11 thro' hdb17. I should have stopped there and got on with life, but the brain is a canny device.. before I knew it it was 3pm, I had moved Portage to hda8, and I was updating it with 'emerge --sync' on the hdb Gentoo copy. This alone took over 30 minutes! I should have stopped there too, but having updated portage I just checked to see how many things an 'emerge system' would want to update.. it didn't look bad - updating my profile to 2008.0 and sorting the blocks with help of forum search and away it went updating system :) That went surprisingly fast until just before the end when there was some trouble with PAM that has been semi-deprecated. I should have copied the comments out to hdb10, there were some things to do with authenticate - as logwatch output shows, PAM is involved with root starting sessions. I sorted out the block, something to do with udev IIRC, and finished the system update, logged out and in again ok (not a restart) and thought I would leave it at that..
However... when I rebooted the machine the screen was blank as it proceeded for a while before giving up. F2 showed nothing.. I wasted another hour searching the forum and tried a couple of small changes to files updated by etc-update, but nothing helped. So, I have promised myself to use no more than an hour or so before either wiping the hdb Gentoo off the disk or restoring hdb8 from my pre-update state.
Curse OpenSUSE and Linux!
No comments:
Post a Comment