Tuesday, 11 October 2011

A quiet month..?

I was just about to write about how fast the month is going, and that I should be getting some feedback from Pixmania shortly about the Nexus One, when I remembered this was the month Steve Jobs passed away.

This was something I had been expecting for quite a while, so it wasn't a shock, but like many who had no first hand knowledge of him, one felt a certain natural sadness. There has been so much raking up of one's own memories on the various Mac podcasts that I gave up listening to many of them. Suffice it to say, that my first Mac was one of those weird little grey portables, the Classic I believe, next was the 2SE I used when starting my own business. That still exists down in my storeroom. It works, but I loaned the keyboard to my daughter, Susan, and its somewhere amongst their pile of belongings.

A number of years passed in my DIY PC overclocking phase, when I really wasted so much time with Gentoo with ID: Cintra. I learned a lot about Linux, which must have helped my brain develop some neurons, but it has pretty much faded away now. (use it or lose it!)

When Susan started her own design business using one of the 20" iMacs I was attracted by the style, and the fabulous screen resolution. I bought my own and just fell into the Mac way again so easily. :)

A while later I bought the first MB AIR and a year or two later a new 21.5" iMac, a really fast machine. It has been updated and backed up regularly since then, and is now at the latest LION version, as are all three Macs.

My network consists of an Airport Extreme with two Expresses used mainly with Airplay/Airfoil connected to the Sony stereo unit in the 'stue'.

Thats enough of my Mac history, other than to say that the urge to buy a new iMac, iPad, or iPhone 4S has to be constantly supressed ;)

1 comment:

Gerald Fraser said...

I should add that I do have an early Time Capsule, one of the few Apple products which I consider to be defective. It was repaired free of charge, but I keep it as a reserve only, being a SuperDuper! user.